Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blogging the Bible: Psalms 9-10




                It’s started…the slide into nothing.  If you have been following recently, you know the goal was to post every Wednesday and possibly on Sunday as well.  June and July have seen that goal start to falter.  Weeks have been skipped and I don’t have a real strong reason for it other than “I was busy.” Lame.  I know it’s a weak excuse and I mean to do better.  We all know summer can be crazy and most churches back off the programming during the summer months because everyone is busy with vacations and such.  But that doesn’t mean I get to take time off from my own personal devotions and spiritual growth.  Personal devotions and time with God are an important part of being a Christian.  With that said, back into the groove with Psalms 9 and 10.
                The reason for combining Psalms 9 and 10 is that the research notes indicated that these two Psalms may have been a single poem.  The Septuagint (ancient Greek translation of Hebrew scripture) has these two Psalms as one acrostic poem with each stanza beginning with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.  With that background it makes sense to take a look at these two psalms together.
                The subject here is God’s response to our cries for help and his justice.  Psalm 9 focuses more on the fact that God does hear our cries for help and reminds us of our need to praise God.  The first two verses are a simple offering of praise to God.  Whenever we find ourselves in difficult circumstances, these two verses can be a simple statement of thanksgiving.  “I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High” (Psalm 9:1-2).  There are no qualifying statements here, just a simple statement that David will praise the Lord with everything.  David will be “glad and rejoice in [the Lord].”  David doesn’t say that he will be glad only when God blesses him, or only when he feels like it.  David doesn’t say that he will praise God with most of his heart.  We should all strive to worship the Lord as David does here.
                Later, David addresses his reasons for asking God for help, and, in doing so, points a spotlight at our own motivations.  “O Lord, see how my enemies persecute me!  Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death, that I may declare your praises in the gates of the Daughter of Zion and there rejoice in your salvation” (Psalm 9:13-14).  Note David’s goal in asking for help.  It wasn’t so that life would be a bit more comfortable or so that he could be a bit more successful.  It was so that he could proclaim God’s greatness.  The notes on these two verses ask us to focus on our motivation when we ask God for help.  This is a good reminder for me because I am most definitely guilty of seeking God the most when life is at a low point.  When I lost my job a few years ago I spent time reading the Bible and asking God to help me find a job.  Once I found a job and things started going well, reading the Bible wasn’t so important anymore.  Life was good, why did I need to keep reading scripture?  God answered my prayer and I was back to being comfortable again.  Umm…wrong, please try again.  We should seek God so that we can boast about His greatness, not so that we can avoid pain or embarrassment.  Yes, God’s answer to our prayers may save us grief or humiliation, but that shouldn’t be the end point of our prayers.
                Getting to Psalm 10, the focus shifts slightly to the question of why the wicked succeed.  There is still an underlying current of asking God for help.  In this case, the writer sees the inflated importance of the wicked; he sees those who think they alone are responsible for their accomplishments.  The wicked crush the weak and abuse their wealth and power.  In those cases, it is easy to feel that God has forgotten us.  But we find hope at the end of Psalm 10.  “The Lord is King for ever and ever; the nations will perish from his land.  You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more” (Psalm 10:16-18).  The Lord reigns for all eternity and he does here the cries of the weak and afflicted.  This earth will fade away and so with earthly power.  Psalm 10 finishes on the theme first introduced in Psalm 9 – God hears our prayers and cries for help.  God is our help in times of need.  He will strengthen and encourage us.   He will defend us and be our protector.  The wicked may succeed now, but those who trust in God will see justice in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment