The 30-second Guide to some of My Beliefs:
Let me start by saying that the snippets below are a quick
glance at what I believe. Undergirding
all of them is my understanding and interpretation of American history, the
Constitution, and the Bible. I consider
myself a political moderate, an American, a Christian. I love this country and the freedoms that I
enjoy each and every day.
I think many of us can agree that there are numerous
issues that we need to address in order to continue to succeed. As Abraham Lincoln put it once, “a house
divided against itself cannot stand.”
America is in danger of becoming a house divided if we do not start
talking about these issues. I don’t mean
retreat to our separate corners and spout our talking points to prove we’re
right. I mean meeting in the middle and
having open, honest dialogue. Whatever
your viewpoint is, I can guarantee that some part of this country disagrees with
you. The question is, are we willing to
compromise in order to keep the ship afloat or are we going to stay in our
corners and blame the other side while the ship sinks?
As I keep blogging, I want to explore these topics in
more detail and engage in conversation.
Feel free to comment, even disagree with me. I do ask that you keep the comments
respectful and honestly engage in the conversation. I will delete comments that only serve to
attack people and do nothing to further the conversation.
Abortion – All life is precious, including life in the
womb, and I will always support a woman’s right to choose what is best for her.
Birth Control – the decision to use or not use birth
control should be left in the hands of the couple.
Gay Marriage – there’s a difference between what the secular government needs to recognize
and what a religious church has to
accept.
Gun Control – I have no problem with people owning
guns. I do have a problem with people
owning assault rifles and semi-automatics.
Wages – at minimum, people should be able to earn a
living wage working one 40-hour/week job.
Welfare – most people on government assistance are not
welfare queens. Most need some level of
support for various legitimate reasons that cannot always be fixed.
Healthcare – Obamacare is a step in the right
direction. Access to the healthcare
system should be a right, not a privilege.
Immigration – kicking out all the illegals is not a
viable solution. They must be presented
with a pathway to citizenship.
Poverty and the homeless – we should be finding ways to
help those in need and give them a hand up.
Christian America – We’re a democracy, not a theocracy. We were not founded as a Christian nation.
Christianity & Politics – these are two separate
spheres. While my Christianity affects
my politics, I do not believe that my Christianity should be my politics. God does not
belong to a political party.
Faith – it’s messy and complicated. Anyone who wants to boil it down to black and
white is oversimplifying it. There are
grey areas we have to wrestle with.
No comments:
Post a Comment