Saturday, January 17, 2015

How Not To Make A Waffle



                Right…so I thought the first post of the new year would be something about looking forward to the changes coming in 2015.  You know, something about the new job, the anticipation of a baby, etc. Instead, I’m taking a moment to laugh at myself and have some fun.
                It all started after Christmas.  Since Renee was restricted from travel, her parents came down to see us for the weekend.  Sunday morning I was going to make waffles.  I had found a nice recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook and had successfully made waffles in the past.  So this wasn’t going to be a problem…except it was.  The first two steps come from that weekend.  Step 3 comes from today, as I attempted to make up for my last attempt.  Here now – How Not To Make A Waffle:
1)      Make sure to put in too much of one ingredient.  I recommend doubling the salt.  It makes for a really unique flavor once the waffle is finished.  Perfect excuse for drowning the waffles in delicious maple syrup.
2)      Get two similar sounding but decidedly different ingredients confused.  I suggest replacing the baking powder with baking soda.  This will give your waffles that extra bubbly texture you are looking for.  It will also ensure that your waffle maker will be properly covered in batter.  Should you feel the need to make a second batch to correct the salt issue from the first batch, continue to confuse the ingredients in the second batch.
3)      Don’t grease the waffle maker.  You sprayed it like 3 uses ago, it’s still good.  Why waste another valuable spray of PAM.  This is perfect for making stuffed waffles.  When the timer goes off the waffle will separate into two perfect halves.  Once you remove each half from the maker you can stuff the middle with your favorite filling – blueberries, apples, peanut butter, etc.
Follow these three steps and I can guarantee you will NOT make a waffle.  Thankfully, everyone was very understanding and kind regarding my various adventures in waffle making.  It should be noted that steps 1 and 2 were very carefully avoided today.  So…Happy New Year and may you always make good waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment