They say that change is inevitable, what they don't tell you is that change still contains a lot of stress. Recently it seems that many things are changing. With the economy still struggling everyone is looking for ways to cut costs. Thankfully, I am not in danger of losing my job or benefits. The other thing is that there have been several personnel moves that are currently playing out. I don't know what this will me for me yet, but I have bid to move up within the company. Praying that God does know best and that his plans are best. Work is not the only area of change in my life.
Two weeks ago we found out that our Associate Pastor is leaving to take a position with a church in West Virginia. Jeremy served as the Youth Pastor and also the leader of our praise band. He has been a tremendous blessing to me and has helped me grow as a musician. On top of that, Renee and I are struggling with church as a whole. When our old choir director left, it created a void for us. Since I was already a part of the praise band, mine filled in fairly easily. Renee's did not. Our church is about a 30 minute drive for us, which can become a strain, especially when I don't usually get off work until 6:15 or so. The ability to participate in anything beyond Sunday morning is difficult. We are beginning to consider looking for a church that is a bit closer to home so that we might have the ability to be involved in a mid week something (bible study, small group, etc.) Even though I am in the praise band, I have felt the need for relationships with others in church that exist beyond Sunday morning. Of course, leaving a church is always difficult.
I do find myself taking some comfort from the words of Jeremiah. We all know Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (NIV) What has helped me is looking at the context of this verse. This was not written to people looking at some scary yet good change (i.e. going to college). It was written to people in exile. These were people who had experience change in a bad way. They had been uprooted from their homes by a foreign army and forced to march to a foreign city that was a 3 month journey. This was definitely not what the people were expecting. Granted, their sin is what led them to this position. Still, in the midst of all this bad stuff happening, Jeremiah reminds them that God does know what he is doing and he does watch over his people. I find that very comforting right now.
Anyway, that is it for right now. I will try to post regularly on Tuesdays as that is my current day off. Hopefully I can maintain regular updates. Most probably won't be as long as this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment