I need to get a few things off my chest here because the current debate in American politics is completely frustrating me, specifically the Republican right as represented by Rick Santorum and his like-minded associates. The Republican evangelical right has been up in arms for years about federal funding supporting abortions. They even got a bill passed that bans federal dollars from paying for abortions. Now they want all federal funding cut from Planned Parenthood because federal funding allows them to use more private money to pay for abortions thus indirectly supporting abortions. They object to abortion on strictly religious moral grounds. I can respect their beliefs, but that does not mean that federal dollars should not be used to support abortions.
What about the pacifists? We should pass a bill that no federal dollars can be used for military action unless they meet the strict definitions of a just war. Just war advocates have argued that there has never been a just war (that includes WWII). So federal funds should not be used for the military because that violates the religious moral beliefs of a significant portion of the American populace.
What about the death penalty? Many Americans are opposed to the death penalty on religious moral grounds. So we should pass a bill that no federal dollars can be used to pay for execution of criminals because that violates the religious moral convictions of many Americans.
Why is it that abortion can be denied federal funding simply because some people object to it on religious moral grounds? Why does abortion get special treatment? I don't like abortion, but I didn't support the Iraq war and I think we need a very restricted use of the death penalty. I can't keep my money from being used for wars I don't support or to execute criminals that I don't think should die. So why do the evangelical right-wing Republicans get to keep their money from being used for abortions?
The Republicans would have us believe that this is a debate about religious freedom and not trampling upon their religious freedom. If this is about religious freedom, then why are they so desperately trying to impose their religious beliefs on all of us? Why are they trying to ban abortions and deny women access to birth control? That is their viewpoint only. They don't have to get abortions or use birth control. However, not all of us want to be the Dugger family. I respect their right to live as they believe. They do not have a right to impose those beliefs on me.
I believe that I am called to be a good steward of the resources that God has given me. That means that my wife and I use birth control because we believe that we are called to provide a good home for the children we choose to have. That means proper food on the table, decent clothes on their backs, and a sturdy roof over their heads. It also means parents who are happy and do not resent their children. As such, there are some things on our bucket list to do before we have children. That is following my religious convictions.
I could go on for quite some time on this subject, but I don't want this post to go on too long, so I will end now, but I will probably be back with more on the current state of politics in this country.
No comments:
Post a Comment