Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blogging the Bible: Psalm 12 & 13



                Psalm 12 tackles the issue of liars in our midst.  As king, David certainly encountered many people who lied – flatterers seeking to gain favor or opponents seeking to bring ruin.  David’s prayer here is a prayer for help since he is surrounded by the ungodly.  The tongue can do great damage.  As a child, I grew up hearing the old adage “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”  Sure, it was mildly helpful when that kid at recess called me a dork, but the adage is flat wrong.  Bones will heal after a few weeks, but words can hurt much deeper and that hurt can last much longer.
                Fortunately for David, he has one source of truth that can rely on – God’s Word.  “[T]he words of the Lord are flawless,” he writes, “like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times” (Psalm 12:6).  The image of refined silver is one that recurs throughout the Bible.  As silver is melted in the fire, the impurities will rise to the surface to be removed.  Each time the silver is put in the fire, is another chance to purify it further.  The words of the Lord, having been purified seven times, are perfect.  They are a dependable source of truth, even when we are surrounded by lies.

                Psalm 13 is another short psalm that quite accurately reflects some of my own feelings regarding my current situation.

1How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?  2How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?  How long will my enemy triumph over me?  3Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.  Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; 4my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall.  5But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  6I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.

The first half of this psalm perfectly captures my feelings regarding infertility.  I’m tired of waiting.  I’m tired of cancelled cycles.  I’m tired of hearing that the last cycle didn’t take.  I’m tired of the daily “sorrow in my heart.”  Some days I can be like David and trust in God’s goodness.  Other days, all I can do is ask “How long?”  I really like verse 3.  I can imagine the intensity with which David writes this.  There is an urgent pleading there, laced with a hint on anger.  This isn’t a wishy-washy ‘if you don’t mind could you please’ kind of request.  This is a bold ‘answer me or I die’ demand.  The hard part is knowing that God hears our pleas and he hears the intensity of our requests and trusting that he will be faithful to answer.  David’s affirmation of his trust in the goodness of the Lord is an important reminder to me because I am forced to acknowledge the truth of verse 6.  The Lord has been good to me and the Bible is full of passages an examples of God being good to those who trust in him.  Sometimes they have to wait a while, but God is always faithful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment