I think it can be an accurate model, but it definitely has some flaws. How do you define the parameters of each of the 4 large circles?
You Love It - this one seems pretty straightforward, so no real problem there.
The World Needs It - according to what definition of need. Most people in the U.S. need financial advisors and retirement planners. Most people in 3rd-world countries do not. So, can working for Edward Jones, Charles Schwab, etc be your purpose?
You Get Paid For It - great, but does it have to be enough to pay the bills? This is the big one for me, because it presents the largest challenge. I think many people struggle to find that one thing that likely meets the other 3 criteria and pays the bills
You Are Great At It - who determines your greatness. Is simply your own feeling? Is it based off of performance reviews by your boss? What about the opinions of your colleagues? Customers?
While I think the model is good, I think many of us spend our days working in two different areas of the model. We usually have something that fits within two or three of the circles and then we have something else that fits within the 4th circle and, hopefully, one of the other adjacent circles.
What do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment