Monday, June 21, 2010

Massively Overdue Update

Right, so this whole regular blogging thing hasn't worked out so well. The original plan was to use my day off (Tuesday) to post something to the blog. If you have read the previous few posts you know that in May I started at at new branch. As part of that change, I lost my day off so it has become a bit more difficult to find time to write. I do have a nice chunk of time this morning before heading off to work however, so I think it is time for an update.


CAMPING
Back in May, Renee and I went camping with our college friends Joel and Julie and their son Kyper (almost 1). We went May 14-16 to Warren Dunes State Park, so things were a wee bit on the chilly side but actually not too bad. Cold at night, but layers are wonderful things. Saturday morning Joel and I head out on Lake Michigan in his kayak and had a blast; even if getting out was somewhat of a challenge









Obviously the gentle rocking motion of Lake Michigan had a profound effect on my ability to maintain my balance back on land.

In the afternoon Joel and I headed out for a lengthy hike (3 hours) around the park. Due to recent rains we had to take some creative detours around areas where the trail was flooded behind the dunes. It was fun and we did enjoy climbing and then descending the dunes. We could see the entire Chicago skyline on Saturday from the top of the dunes. Just behind the campgrounds is a nice large dune with a great view, so we climbing it Sunday before leaving and enjoyed the great view.



We also discovered that going down large dunes can be dangerous to your health.



All in all we had a great time with Joel, Julie, and Kyper. The weather was great and, unlike the last time we went camping with them, there were no tornadoes. If you don't know that story, ask me sometime.

Memorial Day
Over Memorial Day weekend, we did a whole lot of not much. With Renee in school, she spends most of her time studying. However, we did find time to hang with family and friends. On Sunday we went over to my parents and spent the afternoon with my family. We watched the race and had a great time. On Monday, we went to Ft. Wayne to do some shopping and then up to Kendallville for a cookout with friends. Unfortunately, the rain decided to come down in 55-gallon drums (as opposed to simply buckets) on the way to Kendallville. After barely making it through three separate massive puddles, we pulled over and called for help. Fortunately our friends have a nice SUV and knew ways to avoid the flooded areas; so we were able to enjoy good company and good food. The only downside was that in driving through to puddles, I destroyed the inner fender liner on my car. Not good. Fortunately the repair was not too bad.

June
Not much to talk about for June. It has been a pleasantly quiet month with Renee working on school and me working on work. I did achieve one major goal. Last week I finished my year long journey through the Bible. This was about the third or fourth time that I had attempted to read the entire Bible, but I never seemed to make it in the past. This time I kept a journal to go with the reading and that really helped. In the past I had no problems with action books like Genesis, Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Chronicles, 1 & 2 Kings, the Gospels. I also found most of Paul's letters interesting. My problems centered on the Prophets, Leviticus, Numbers, and Revelation. I used the NIV Study Bible this time and it contains some excellent notes that really helped me understand what exactly was going on.

Anyway, that is all for now as I must get ready to go to work. I will try to post more regularly, but I won't promise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment