As I have been thinking and
reflecting on Psalm 1, I have been struck by this particular line in verse 2, “on
his law he meditates day and night.”
Now, I don’t know about you, but my life is busy. I have a job that consumes somewhere in the
neighborhood of 50 hours of my week. I
enjoy sleep and usually have better days when I get a good night’s sleep, so
there’s another 56 hours. Quick math
check here, let’s see, 7 x 24 = 168 and 168 – 106 = 62. Okay, so after work and sleep I have 62 hours
left. Not too bad really. However, I need a few other things like food
and showers. The morning wake up and get
ready for work/church takes about an hour and a half(-10.5). Take at least 2 hours to spend with my wife
eating dinner and hanging out each night (-14).
Now we are down to 35.5 hours left.
Church on Sunday eats up 3 hours and practice on Thursday takes another
3 so now I’m left with 29.5 hours. Okay,
wait a minute. As I’m writing this I’m
starting to realize that I must be wasting some serious time in my week because
I still have more than a full day left.
Okay, so what am I doing with
all that leftover time? Most of it comes
on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday
afternoon is usually spent hanging out with my wife and/or watching TV. It’s also a chance to clean the apartment. Sunday afternoon is spent watching something
sports related and washing the sheets and towels. During the week I usually manage the rest of
the laundry and I do the dishes each night.
Still it seems that there should be time for me to focus on God’s Word
and meditate upon it.
During my morning routine I
should take time to check in on the passage of scripture I am working on for
the week. I should also take time each
night to do the same. What’s it saying
to me? Is it challenging me? Encouraging me? Helping me in my daily walk
with Christ? That’s part of what this
blog is for – a way to help me focus on those questions and figure out how to
answer them. Psalm 1 challenges me to
think about the Bible and what it means for me in my daily life. It challenges me to meditate on scripture and
think about what it means to be a Christian and if I am doing what I believe I
should be doing as a follower of Christ.
I’m taking time to focus and meditate on scripture by taking time to
write these posts. This is still in the
early stages, but I want to find more ways to think about scripture and apply
it to my daily activities and interactions.
This is the challenge of Psalm 1
– find a way to spend time meditating on God’s word. I don’t believe David meant for us to
literally meditate on it day and night.
But he did mean for us to have it in our thoughts throughout the day and
allow God’s Word to guide us in our actions.
How do you find time to spend in the Bible and how do you keep it in
your heart and allow it to guide you?
No comments:
Post a Comment