Monday, May 13, 2013

Blogging the Bible: Introduction



So I’ve decided to tackle a new challenge on the blog.  I very rarely write here and I want to change that.  I also want to make some other changes to my life and try to address one of my toughest struggles.  As a Christian, especially one who grew up in the church, I have been told many times about the need for a regular devotional life and spending time with God.  Of course hearing and doing are two very different things. 
A few years ago I did tackle the challenge of reading the entire Bible in a year.  I didn’t necessarily read it every day, but I did complete the task.  I also took the time to write about what I was reading.  Mostly, I just summarized what I read, but occasionally I added my own thoughts.  It’s been two years since I finished that project and I have fallen off the wagon.  If taking a year to read the Bible was supposed to kick start a regular devotional life, it failed.  I’ve heard various suggestions on the best devotionals out there – “My Utmost for His Highest,” “The Daily Bread” to name a few.  I’ve searched the internet for daily devotionals sent to your e-mail.  Nothing every really took hold in a way that worked.  So now it’s time to try again – this time with a new approach
Christianity is both a private matter and a communal experience.  Jesus tells his disciples to pray in secret, not out on the street corner where everyone can see how “righteous” they are.  Yet, he also encouraged them to pray and fellowship together.  We still do the same today.  We all talk about having our own daily time with God and we gather together, usually on Sunday, to worship as a corporate body.  Some of us have weekly small group studies that help us in our walk with Christ as well.  I’m not good at the private aspect because I have to hold myself accountable.  It’s all too easy to skip a day because “I’m just not feeling it today” or “I don’t have time” or whatever other excuse I can think up.  Even worse, the allure of video games, the internet, and TV give me more excuses to use.   Granted, they can help relieve the stress after a hard day at work.  But, how much easier would the day have been if I had started it by talking to God instead?
So what’s this new approach?  First, it starts by focusing on how I connect with God.  I’m a musician.  Music has always been a major part of my life and provides me with so much meaning.  I play in the church praise band as a way of using my gifts for His glory.  My closest moments with God have come through music.  So if music is so essential to my connection with the divine, then music should be tied to my devotional life as well. 
Second, it needs some additional motivation outside of me.  That’s where this blog comes in.  I’m not yet sure exactly how this will take shape, but I know where I’m starting – the Psalms.  I have also recently purchased “The Heart of Worship Files” compiled by Matt Redman.  This book features essays on a variety of topics including: the Psalms, songwriting, worship theology, and leading worship.  I plan to post every Wednesday/Sunday on a passage of scripture that has been my focus for the week, but I will also include occasional thoughts from the essays that I read.
If you’re like me and struggle with devotions, consider this a possible resource to use – read along with me and add your thoughts.  First up this week – Psalms 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment