Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Blogging the Bible: Psalms 3 & 4




                Psalms 3 and 4 are both fairly short and deal with God’s protection and peace.  Both Psalms were written by David around the time his son, Absalom, led a rebellion against him.  As you might imagine, King David was not in the best situation.  His son was leading an army numbering more than 10,000 in open rebellion against him.  King David, being wise, didn’t take his army out to face Absalom in open battle.  Instead, David ran and hid in caves while he waited for the Lord to resolve the situation.
                Both of these psalms show David’s trust in God.  In Psalm 3, David refers to the Lord as “a shield around me” (Psalm 3:3).  David expresses his faith that God hears and answers his prayers.  David does not fear the army that surrounds him and he sleeps soundly at night because he trusts in God’s protection.  The notes here make a good point regarding our actions in a crisis.  So often we lose many a sleepless night to worry, doubt, and fear.  Yet David didn’t because he knew God heard his pleas and he had absolute faith that God would watch over him.  This theme comes out again in Psalm 4:8, “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
                I’ll admit that not all is well in my life.  I don’t have anyone trying to usurp my power or kill me, but I still have my fears and struggles.  I have those circumstances that I wish would change, but they haven’t.  Sometimes it seems that God isn’t listening.  Intellectually I know that is not true, but my heart isn’t so convinced.  These Psalms offer a reminder that God does hear our cries.  I’m sure David wasn’t real happy to be hiding out in caves while running for his life.  David took comfort in God’s protection.  He trusted that God had a plan and that God would bring justice.  He knew that deliverance would come from the Lord, but he had to be patient and wait.  While I might not yet see a relief from my circumstances, I have to put my hope and trust in God.  I have to trust that He hears my prayers, He knows my desires and He will see me through.  Not an easy thing to do, but I have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment