In my journey through the Psalms, I’ve
come to Psalm 23; possibly the most well know Psalm. Most of us memorized this one in Sunday
School when we were kids. Some of us
probably still have it memorized. We’ve
had this psalm explained to us many times before and so I didn’t really know
what there was to say about this particular Psalm.
This morning as I was contemplating
this passage, one particular line jumped out and stuck. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”
(Psalm23:1 KJV). The NIV translates the
second half of that line as “I lack nothing.”
The Message paraphrases it to read “I don’t need a thing.” That line hit me because it’s not one we’re
good at truly believing. This is America,
the land of “I want it all and I want it now.”
So the question is how would you finish this phrase? I want…
…a bigger house
…a new car
…a better job
…children
…more money
…better health
There are any number of ways we can
finish that phrase, but unless we’re finishing that phrase with “Christ” we’re
missing something in our relationship with God.
David had plenty of times where he wanted something. He wanted victory over his enemies or
deliverance from Saul. Just read some of
the other psalms and you will find David’s cries for help. But here, David boldly states “I shall not
want.” He’s putting his trust in the
shepherd. He knows the Lord will lead
him through whatever may come.
There are other passages in
scripture that remind us of this same principle. Students across the country have celebrated
high school or college graduations recently and I’m sure that Jeremiah 29:11
has been, or will be, brought up as churches everywhere recognize their
graduates. It a great passage that
reminds us that God has a plan for us.
This is not to suggest that we just
passively sit here and quietly accept whatever comes our way. No, scripture is also clear that we can, and
should, make our requests to God.
In the Sermon on the Mount, Christ
reminds us of the goodness of a father. “Which
of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish will give him a
snake? If you, then, though you are
evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your
Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:9-11) This passage comes within the context of
Jesus teaching his disciples about asking and knocking.
So, how does this tie back to Psalm
23? I think it looks something like
this. We should be confident in our
ability to approach God with our requests.
We should earnestly seek him and pray for those things that we
desire. BUT, we must also allow for the
very real possibility that God’s response will be “no” or “not yet.” We must trust that the good shepherd will
lead us to the “green pastures” and “quiet waters.” (Psalm 23:2) We have to
trust that He will bring us through “the valley of the shadow of death.” (Psalm
23:4)
Too often we get caught up in our
own desires and take God’s “No” as a sign that either He didn’t hear us, He
doesn’t really exist, or we’re just too much of a sinner for God to give us our
desires. I think we’re missing
something. When we’re in the valleys it
can be difficult to see where God is leading.
It can be hard to understand why God said “not yet” to our request. But, when we come out of the valley, we’ll
see it much more clearly. So, lay your
petitions at His feet, but trust that He is the Good Shepherd and we lack
nothing.
Two things:
ReplyDelete1) Psalm 27:4 really hit me the other day. This is what David really wants. This is what I ought to be able to say. I'm miles and miles away from actually being able to say this:
One thing I ask from the Lord,
this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
and to seek him in his temple.
2) There's this really powerful, beautiful moment in the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, Daniel 3:17-18:
"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
So they believe that God absolutely CAN deliver them, but even if He doesn't, their faith won't waiver. What incredible strength! To look into the chaos and destruction, pain and grief of the storms of life and say: "I believe God can deliver me, but even if He does not, my love for Him is unconditional."
I have to agree with you on regarding what David really wants. It's what we should all want, but, like you, I'm a long way from being able to truly say that. As for Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego I don't know that I have the strength to respond to adversity the way they did. It's a hard thing to look at our situation and be willing to accept any outcome without reservation.
Delete