Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Tea Party

NBC/WSJ Poll on the Tea Party

Check the link above for a very telling poll conducted by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal.  It basically highlights the fact that the Tea Party is pretty far off the mark on some serious issues facing this country.

Why do I post it here?  Because I hear a lot of the Tea Party noise where I live.  My U.S. Representative, Marlin Stutzman, was on the ballot today for House Majority Whip.  He's a Tea Party guy.  If you read my earlier overview of my beliefs, it's pretty clear that I'm not a Tea Party supporter.  Yet around here I hear plenty of comments about the Tea Party having the voice of "real Americans."  And the Tea Party stand for "Real American Values."

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.  The Tea Party represents a very loud minority within conservative America.  As the poll indicates, the Tea Party isn't even in line with the Republican party on some issues.  They are part of the reason I plan to address some political topics here.  Because I'm not a Tea Partier.  I don't agree with their views.  I am a "real American."

Around here, it seems that people just assume that you share the same political beliefs as they do.  You go to church together after all.  I remember a Sunday School class several years ago that I had a chance to sit in on.  The conversation turned to the subject of prayer in school and most everyone there agreed that it should be brought back.  Until I spoke out in disagreement.  There were more than a few people in the group who were a bit shocked that this nice young man they thought the knew would disagree with them.  At some point, those of us who do not agree with the Tea Party need to raise our voices in opposition and show our leaders what they truly are - a minority position standing to one side of the political spectrum.  If we live in an area dominated by the Tea Party, then it become even more important so that we can elect leaders that truly represent all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment