Monday, August 4, 2014

My Favorite Song

Some of you might be wondering where the regular posts have gone.  Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.  Over the last few weeks a couple of other projects took priority.  Last week I was gladly working with many wonderful volunteers at my church as well held our VBS program.  The church does VBS a bit different.  It's held from 6-8 Sunday-Thursday.  It was great working with the kids and telling them stories from the Bible.  The other priority was a piece I shared in the church newsletter that I want to share here as well:



My Favorite Song

            Over this summer I have had a chance to do some reading and growth as I continue to develop my role leading worship for Leesburg UMC.  One of the books on my list was Gordon MacDonald’s Who Stole My Church.  The book deals with a hypothetical church with an older congregation that is facing some significant changes.  MacDonald has spent many years as a church pastor and so the characters and dialogue is based on his own experiences in church ministry. 
At one point in the book there is a meeting between the youth praise band and a group of older members trying to understand why things need to change.  The two sides are a bit leery of each other to start with, but they have a great conversation.  One of the things that comes out of the conversation is an understanding of why various songs and hymns are so important.  The young people of the praise band were able to explain why they chose more modern songs like “Come, Now Is The Time to Worship.”  The older members get to explain why hymns like “Come Thou Fount” have such meaning for them.  Hearing each side talk about the value of these songs and hymns, the two groups learn about the importance and meaning behind the music.  Instead of being two groups who have reservations about each other, they become united in their desire to praise God.
Reading that story got me thinking – what are your favorite songs or hymns and why?  One of my favorite songs, and one I will be introducing this fall, is Matt Redman’s “Here For You.”  The song expresses the fact that we are here for God and provides an invitation for God to inhabit the space.  The end of this song contains these lyrics:
We welcome You with praise
We welcome You with praise
Be welcomed in this place
Let every heart adore
Let every soul awake
Almighty God of love
Be welcomed in this place
What a great set of lyrics.  For me, they capture the essence of worship.  Worship is an opportunity to commune with our Creator; it’s a chance to meet our Living Savior.  This song expresses our desire for God come and be present with us in our worship.  It’s saying “Hi, good morning, welcome to our church” and that is something we should be saying to God every time we gather to worship.

At the end of the piece, I asked members of the church to share their favorite hymns/songs and so I ask you to do the same.  Drop a note in the comments with your favorite hymn/song and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment