Thursday, August 28, 2014

When Mega-Churches Go Bad?



“Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely” – Lord Acton

                Most of us are familiar with the quote above and we often think about it as it applies to politics and politicians.  We see how the power to govern a state corrupts governors.  We see Senators and Congressmen get unseated because the wielded their power incorrectly.  The desire to hold power even took down a president.  Sometimes the politician in question has to face criminal repercussions for his/her actions; sometimes they just get voted out of office.  Regardless, we hold them accountable for their actions. 
But what do we do when the people who have abused their power lead some of the biggest churches in America?  It’s a question that’s been on my mind for the last several weeks and three key churches come to mind – Steven Furtick’s Elevation Church, Mark Driscoll’s Mars Hill Church, and C.J. Mahaney’s Sovereign Grace Ministries.  All three churches have enjoyed a certain amount of success and broad appeal beyond their congregation(s).  All three have multiple campuses.  Elevation and Mars Hill have been the launch pad for the popular Christian bands Elevation and Citizens, respectively.  Bob Kauflin and the music team at SGM have done some great things with old hymns and Kauflin has written multiple books containing some very valuable insights into being a worship leader.  But all three churches have big problems.
Elevation – Steven Furtick lives in a $1.7 million, 16,000 square foot mansion.  It has 5 bedroom and 7 ½ bathrooms for a family of Furtick, his wife, and their 3 children.  Seems overly excessive and a waste of money that could be better spent caring for the poor, the orphaned, and the needy as the Bible tells us.  Furtick wants us all to believe that the money for the home came entirely from sales of his books, but many people aren’t buying it and Elevation isn’t doing anything to clear it up.  Part of the problem is that Furtick doesn’t actually own the home.  It’s owned by a trust run by another pastor at Elevation.  If the money came entirely from book sales, why does a trust run by another pastor at the church actually control the property?
Mars Hill – Pastor Rob Driscoll has created quite a mega-church out in the Seattle area that has gone global.  Sadly, he’s been running it like a corporation, not a church.  If you are to be a member of the leadership team at Mars Hill, you have to sign a “Unity of Mission” statement.  It’s basically a non-compete clause that states if you leave Mars Hill to pursue ministry elsewhere, you will not serve at a church within 10 miles of any Mars Hill church.  There’s also clear evidence that Mars Hill used church funds to buy up large numbers of Driscoll’s books and keep those books on bestseller lists.  Profits from the sale of said books went to Driscoll, not the church.  Lastly, there are the formal charges leveled against Driscoll by 21 former pastors alleging that Driscoll is unfit to pastor a church.  To be fair, Driscoll just announced that he is stepping away from ministry for the next 6 weeks while independent members of the Mars Hill Board of Advisors and Accountability investigate the charges.
Sovereign Grace Ministries – In short, it’s a smaller protestant version of the sex abuse scandal that has plagued the Catholic church for the last few decades.  Abuse happened and pastors covered it up.  Members were asked to forgive the abusers and not report it to the police.  Grant Layman, C.J. Mahaney’s brother-in-law, has admitted to the cover up and I have a hard time believing Mahaney’s claims that he never knew about it.  There are enough people who were abused during their time with SGM that there is actually a survivors website – SGMSurvivors.com.  I’m sorry, but no experience with the church should be so bad that people see themselves as having survived the experience.
So here’s my dilemma: how do I, as a Christian, respond to these three churches?  In each case there are serious questions regarding abuse of power, finances, and/or congregants.  This post was originally much longer, but I realized that I didn't want to get into a detailed recounting of all the problems with each church and the accompanying detail explanation of all my objections.  I also had a brief conversation on the topic with my pastor and he reminded me that, to borrow from St. Augustine, truth is truth wherever it is found.  So when it comes to my decision to read Bob Kauflin’s Worship Matters (I already own it) it shouldn’t necessarily be about the church he is a part of, but is he sharing truth?  Setting that one book aside, how do I relate to these churches?  Obviously, I don’t attend any of them.  Just as clearly, I should be praying about it.  I don’t think I’ll be buying any books written by the pastors anytime soon.  But what about buying music from Elevation Band or Citizens?  Citizens is getting some rave reviews and now their frontman, Zach Bolen, has stepped down from his leadership position with Mars Hill.  I guess the key question comes down to figuring out what constitutes support for these churches/pastors.  It’s one I don’t have an answer to, but I’m hoping to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment