Psalm
27 has 3 parts to it, but it all flows in a general theme of confidence in God
despite our circumstances. In the
opening 3 verses David boldly declares his confidence in God no matter what. “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom
shall I fear? … Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear, though war
break out against me, even then will I be confident.” (Psalm 27:1, 3) It’s a pretty clear statement from
David. His enemies can come at him; they
can give him their best shot, but David will not fear them because he has
confidence in the Lord.
Verses
4-6 focus more on David’s deepest desire; the one thing he truly wants above
all else. In verse 4 he writes, “One
thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of
the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to
seek him in his temple.” If you read my
post on Psalm 23, I posed the question of what it is that we truly desire. As noted in the comments on that post, this is
what David truly wants. He wants to be
in God’s presence all day, every day.
How many of us can honestly say the same? In verses 5-6 we see why David desires to “dwell
in the house of the Lord.” When David
was in trouble, God kept him safe. The
Lord hid him “in the shelter of his tabernacle.” (Psalm 27:5) It’s here, at the tabernacle, where David can
“sacrifice with shouts of joy” and “sing and make music to the Lord.” (Psalm
27:6) How often do we “sing and make
music to the Lord.” For David, it was a
daily practice because he always desired to be in the presence of God. I’m not sure I could say the same is true for
me.
In part
3 of this psalm we find a request from David to God. David’s request is one many of us make. It is a request that God hear us and be
merciful to us. It is the request of
someone facing difficult circumstances – trials and tribulations. “Do not hide your face from me,” David
writes, “do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my
Savior.” (Psalm 27:9) I’m really good at
praying some variant on this verse when times are hard. When sickness comes, or the job gets hard, or
there is no job, or fill in the blank with your own struggles. It’s a natural response for us as
believers. When the going gets tough, we
turn to God for help. Scripture tells us
that He is there for us. But do we carry
that same desire for God’s help when everything is turning up roses and
sunshine? Do we keep that same desire
David expressed back in verse 4, to “gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to
seek him in his temple.”
The
psalm concludes with a reminder of David’s trust in God. “I am still confident of this: I will see the
goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”
(Psalm 27:13-14) David continued to seek
God’s presence because he had full confidence that he would see God’s goodness
in his current circumstances. David didn’t
know exactly when or how, but he knew it was coming. He knew he would have to wait, but he knew
the Lord would deliver him. In our world
of instance gratification and wanting everything now, it’s good to be reminded
that sometimes we need to wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment